Stonington Methodist Episcopal Church

Stonington_churchStep back in history in the lovely prairie village of historic Stonington. The Late Gothic Revival style of the 1917 white clapboard Methodist-Episcopal Church recalls New England design. Local craftsman W. S. Murray, a postmaster from a nearby small Kansas town, built the church and many of the small residences in town. It was the second church built–and the only identified example of this style–in Baca County. The original wood weathervane and bell are still functional. Stonington was established in 1887 and was named for the rocky stream near the original site. It was the hub for the surrounding community until Walsh was established in 1926.


48854 County Rd. X
Walsh,  CO  81090
(719) 324-5331

Hours of Operation
The church, which was remodeled inside in the 1980s, has not been used or open to the public for many years.
Directions
From US Hwy 160 in Walsh take North Colorado Street (which become County Road 44) 6.4 miles south to County Rd X. Turn east (left) onto County Rd X and drive about 3.5 miles to Stonington. You will see the white clapboard church on the right. Stonington is an area of about 6 blocks.
Visitor Services
Parking
Designations
National Register Individual Listing
Travel Tips
Be prepared for long distances and remote dirt roads. Bring water and snacks. The old schoolhouse and school/grange building are just south of the church.
Entrance Fees
Free
Posted in All Heritage Attractions, Churches, National Register of Historic Places.